Manchester United transfers: AC Milan agree to cover hefty salary of striker if loan deal agreed, buy option says...
Rasmus Hojlund (L) and Joshua Zirkzee of Manchester United | X
Manchester United forward Rasmus Højlund may have to compete for a starting spot with new arrivals this season, as reports indicate AC Milan have begun talks with the Premier League side for a potential loan move. However, Højlund's decision will be crucial as the 22-year-old still wants to fight for his place in the squad under the new manager, Rúben Amorim.
AC Milan, who finished last season in eighth place in Serie A, is reportedly willing to offer Manchester United a €6 million loan fee for Højlund. The deal would also include a €45 million buy option, according to reports. Milan is prepared to cover the striker's £110,000-per-week wages, acknowledging his proven track record in Italy with Atalanta, despite his struggles since joining Manchester United.
ALSO READ | EPL transfer update: Big news as THIS Manchester United star aims to play for Chelsea SOON
“Competition is fine with me, it sharpens me,” Højlund had said previously. “I’m more than ready. I’m feeling sharp, so I’m welcoming everything that comes. I think competition is good and it only sharpens the team.” However, this statement was made before the arrival of Matheus Cunha, Benjamin Sesko, and Bryan Mbuemo at Old Trafford. Amorim did not give Højlund any game time against Fiorentina in a pre-season match, despite his familiarity with the Italian rivals. This is widely seen as an indication to the Danish star that he is not part of the manager's plans for the season. It was also reported earlier that United was open to giving Joshua Zirkzee more time and that Højlund would be included in the 'For Sale' list.
From 95 competitive games for the Red Devils, Højlund has scored 26 goals and provided six assists since joining in August 2023.
Gaffer hails Sesko
New Manchester United striker Benjamin Sesko has all the attributes needed to help bolster their attack, manager Ruben Amorim said as he hopes to unlock the 22-year-old Slovenian's full potential after his big-money move to Old Trafford.
Sesko completed his 76.5-million-euro ($89-million) switch from German side RB Leipzig to United on Saturday, with a further 8.5 million euros in bonuses. He signed a contract until 2030 to complete a new-look front three alongside fellow close-season signings Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha. The Slovenia international, capped 41 times, scored 39 goals in 87 appearances across all competitions for Leipzig."He has the characteristics that we needed," Amorim told MUTV on Saturday.
Sports